In 1934, Cushion Peak Rod and Gun Club was founded by three men – Milton Ochs, Luther George, and Ruby Weitzel. The original monthly meeting location was the Montello Athletic Association Building located on Fritztown Road next to the Atlantic Refining Co. (now Sunoco). Before moving to the Vinemont Road location the meetings were held in a building next to Weitzel’s Bar in what was then known as Weitzeltown. Weitzels’s Bar is now the American house on Fritztown Road. The Club Charter became effective March 23, 1953.
One of the organization’s objectives in the early years was to purchase or trap rabbits and pheasants for hunting. Originally rabbits were purchased from out of state rearing farms. At times, they were not in the best condition. Instead of paying local farmers to raise rabbits for the club, they decided the best solution was to acquire land to raise their own rabbits and pheasants. In 1956, land located off of Vinemont Road became available for purchase. The organization purchased three wooded lots which became, and remains, Cushion Peak Rod and Gun Club. The organization was named Cushion Peak Rod and Gun Club after Cushion Peak Summit in South Heidelberg Township. The summit climbs 1,050 feet above sea level. In 1981, the club approved to construct a clubhouse. The original portion of the clubhouse, a 30’ by 20’ concrete and brick building cost $17,000.00 to construct. In 1988, through the efforts of strong enthusiasm, the club volunteers built an addition to the clubhouse for $10,000.00. The addition was to include an ALL-AMERICAN BAR with a rock from each state collected by various members of the club. At a later date it was decided to include a rock from each county in Pennsylvania. Russ Kindt and Donald Kopp (master stone masons) were assisted by club volunteers to construct the ALL-AMERICAN BAR and fireplace.
In 1988, a scenic ¾ acre pond with fountain was constructed by the members of the club. When a well-loved steward of the club passed, (Calvin Ulrich Sr.-a.k.a. Homer), the pond was named after him. Overlooking Homer’s Pond is a memorial constructed by master stone mason Donald Kopp. Each year club members and their children attend the popular annual Fishing Rodeo.
Currently the Cushion Peak Rod and Gun Club is enjoyed by over 600 members on 125 beautiful acres of wooded and farmed land which is to feed wildlife. Club activities include; a Rifle/Pistol Range, 3D Archery Range, Hunter Safety Courses, ¾ acre Fishing Pond, Pavilion, and a clubhouse with dining area and bar.
Land Purchase History
1953: 17 acres -$100.00 (David Sharman Jr.)
1953: 10 acres -$300.00 (Lillie Sharman)
1958: 5 acres -$150.00 (Mrs. Walter Kreitz)
1961: approx. 48 acre -$3000.00 (Hinkle Farm property)
1986: 46 acres-$75,000.00 (Robert John Stoudt, formerly Shearer Turkey Farm)
1994: 3.2 acres -$18,000.00 (Charlie Winters Estate)
2018: 6+ acres -$257,000.00 (Kreider Property)
This information has been graciously given to the Cushion Peak Rod and Gun Club by the South Heidelberg Township Anniversary Committee. It is published in the South Heidelberg Township 100th Year Anniversary History (1914-2014). Copies of the book can be purchased at the township building.